Origin While under construction in 1860, the Farm House was the only building for miles around on the expansive farmland of Story County, Iowa. As the Iowa Agricultural College and Model Farm developed, the Farm House became the campus’ cultural hub. Students working at the Model Farm came to the house to receive their daily assignments. It was also the first home to many farm managers, deans of the Agriculture College, and their families during the early years of the college.
Restoration The Farm House received the honor of being designated a National Historic Landmark in 1965. When the last resident, Dean of Agriculture Floyd Andre, moved out in 1970, work began to preserve and develop the home into a museum. The house was restored to reflect its first fifty years, 1860 to 1910. Funding for the project came from public and private donations as well as a federal grant from the U.S. Department of the Interior. The Farm House Museum formally opened on July 4, 1976 in honor of the nation’s bicentennial.
Today University Museums is composed of the Farm House Museum, the Brunnier Art Museum, the Christian Petersen Art Museum, the Elizabeth and Byron Anderson Sculpture Garden and the Art on Campus Collection. The Farm House Museum and its collection of art and historic objects are utilized by classes and programs across Iowa State for educational and cultural enrichment.